Sunday, June 26, 2016 Page Options
You are here > Home
NYS DEC Burning regulations Minimize
Questions and Answers Regarding Open Burning
1. Do the regulations on open burning make burning household trash in burn barrels or piles illegal?

Yes. Burning trash is prohibited statewide in all cases. Our existing incinerator rule already prohibits burning household trash in wood stoves, fireplaces, and outdoor wood boilers. DEC recommends that you recycle all appropriate materials (such as newspaper, paper, glass and plastic) and compost your organic kitchen and garden waste.

Watch a PSA on open burning and check out other clips on DEC's YouTube Channel.
2. What are the regulations on open burning in New York State?

All open burning is prohibited in New York with several exceptions including the following:

Campfires less than 3 feet in height and 4 feet in length, width or diameter are allowed.
Small cooking fires are allowed.
Fires cannot be left unattended and must be fully extinguished.
Only charcoal or clean, untreated or unpainted wood can be burned.
Ceremonial or celebratory bonfires are allowed.
In towns with a total population less than 20,000, you may burn tree limbs with attached leaves. The limbs must be less than 6 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length (also referred to as brush). However, this is not allowed from March 16 through May 14 due to the increased risk of wildfires.

See Section 215.3 (link leaves DEC's website) for a full list of exceptions.

3. Why has DEC changed the regulations allowing open burning in New York State?

Open burning of household trash releases dangerous compounds including arsenic, carbon monoxide, benzene, styrene, formaldehyde, lead, hydrogen cyanide and dioxin, among others. Open burning is also the single greatest cause of wildfires in New York.

4. Can I burn leaves if I live in a rural area?

No, burning leaves is banned in New York State. We encourage you to compost leaves.

5. Your rule says firewood must be untreated, some firewood is heat-treated, is that allowed?

Some firewood is heat treated (kiln dried) to control invasive insect species if it is to be transported over 50 miles. Heat treated firewood is not intended to be prohibited. However, the burning of chemically treated wood such as pressure-treated lumber and plywood is prohibited.

6. Are open fires allowed to control invasive plant and insect species?

Yes. Case-by-case DEC approval is not required.

7. Can agricultural wastes be burned?

Yes, organic agricultural wastes may be burned on-site where they are grown or generated including brush and wood produced by clearing fields and other activities. The fire must be located on contiguous agricultural land larger than 5 acres, and the materials capable of being fully burned within 24 hours.

The burning of pesticides, plastics or other non-organic material is prohibited.

8. Can I burn liquid petroleum fueled smudge pots to prevent frost damage to crops?

Yes. However, burning tires and other wastes for smudge is not allowed.

9. Can prescribed burns be performed?

Yes. Prescribed burns, the burning of forest land to achieve a vegetative or wildlife management goal, can be performed but only in accordance with DEC regulations. Check with your regional DEC office.

10. Are fire training burning activities allowed?

Yes, with some restrictions on the use of acquired structures and in accordance with guidance from NYS Dept. of State's Office of Fire Prevention and Control. The Fire Services Bureau may be reached at 518-474-6746.

11. Are individual open fires to control plant and animal disease outbreaks allowed?

Yes, as approved case-by-case by DEC, upon the request by the Commissioner of Agriculture and Markets.

12. Can I dispose of a flag or religious item in an open fire?

Yes, in a small-sized fire if it is not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.

13. Are permits for open fires still required in some parts of the state?

Yes. While a permit is not required under this regulation, the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) still requires that a permit be obtained from the Department if you plan to burn brush under the exception and you live in a town which is totally or partially located within the boundaries of the Adirondack and Catskill Parks which is designated as a "Fire Town" under the ECL (see list below). In addition, any local requirements or restrictions would apply.

Clinton County, the towns of Altona, Ausable, Black Brook, Dannemora, Ellenburg and Saranac;
Delaware County, the towns of Andes, Colchester, Hancock and Middletown;
Essex County, all towns
Franklin County, the towns of Altamont, Belmont, Brighton, Duane, Franklin, Harrietstown, Santa Clara and Waverly;
Fulton County, the towns of Bleecker, Caroga, Mayfield, Northampton and Stratford;
Greene County, the towns of Hunter, Jewitt, Lexington and Windham;
Hamilton County, all towns;
Herkimer County, the towns of Ohio, Russia, Salisbury and Webb;
Lewis County, the towns of Crogham, Diana, Grieg, Lyonsdale and Watson;
Oneida County, the towns of Forestport and Remsen;
Saratoga County, the towns of Corinth, Day, Edinburg and Hadley;
Saint Lawrence County, the towns of Clare, Clifton, Colton, Fine, Hopkinton, Parishville, Piercefield and Pitcairn;
Sullivan County, the towns of Neversink and Rockland;
Ulster County, the towns of Denning, Gardiner, Hardinburgh, Olive, Rochester, Shandaken, Shawangunk, Wawarsing and Woodstock;
Warren County, the towns of Bolton, Chester, Hague, Horicon, Johnsburgh, Lake George, Luzerne, Queensbury, Stoney Creek, Thurman and Warrensburgh;
Washington County, the towns of Dresden, Fort Ann and Putnam.
14. Can a town prohibit open burning that the state allows?

Yes, towns, villages, cities and counties can pass ordinances that are stricter than, and not inconsistent with, the open fires regulations. You should check with local authorities to find out if local law requires a permit or prohibits open fires.

15. Can explosives, or other dangerous contraband, be burned?

Yes, on an emergency basis by police or other public safety organizations only.

16. Can brush piles be burned at transfer sites?

No, the practice of burning large piles of brush collected from local residents at town or county transfer sites is prohibited. The individual landowners in small towns may burn their brush on site as discussed under question 2 above. Downed limbs and branches generated at a transfer site are also allowed to be burned on site with the same restrictions.

17. Where should I call to report an illegal open fire?

Report all poachers and polluters by calling the DEC hotline at 1-844-DEC-ECOs (1-844-332-3267).

The Department has received many questions regarding DEC's implementation of Part 215, regarding open fires. This document is intended to inform the general public about open fire regulation in New York and assist the regulated community in understanding the requirements of Part 215.

Important Links
Open Burning Regulation Tip Strip (PDF, 300 Kb)
Open Burning Regulations Fact Sheet (PDF, 38 Kb)
It Is Illegal to Burn Trash Poster (PDF, 510 Kb)
Open Burning Permit
Links Leaving DEC's Website
Part 215: Open Burning
Contact for this Page
Division of Air Resources
Bureau of Stationary Sources
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-3254
Send us an email
This Page Covers
Page applies to all NYS regions
Department of Environmental Conservation
2016 Tentative Assessment Roll Available Online Minimize
The 2016 Tentative Assessment Roll has been posted, please click here to access it.

New York State Consolidated Laws

Welcome to the the Town of Corning, NY online! Minimize
The Town of Corning Offices are located at 20 South Maple St, Corning NY 14830

The Town of Corning was established in 1852. Located in southeastern Steuben County, it has a total area of 37.3 miles. The Town is bordered on the East by the Town of Big Flats, on the North by the Town of Hornby, on the South by The Town of Caton and West by the Town of Erwin. The Town has 56.1 miles of roads. 

Interstate 86 runs through the Town along with State Routes 17, 414, 225, 352. There are two Villages within the Town, the Village of Riverside and Village of South Corning. 

The Town is home to the 550 acre campus of Corning Community College.
East Corning Water District 1 Update Minimize
Welcome to the East Corning Water District update page!

Town of Corning Engineer for the East Corning WD Project: James Gensel
Fagan Engineering

Town Supervisor Kim Feehan
936-6114 (ext 5)

2/17/16- This Extension has been substantially completed. The Department of Health has authorized the Town to put this line in service.

Any residence within this extension may now contact their Plumber and Ken Fields, Town of Corning Water Operator to facilitate connecting to the water system. 607-936-6114 ext 6
4/4/16- the Contractor has finishing work left to be done. Restoration work will begin in later April to early May.
Town Financials Minimize
The Town of Corning 2015 Annual Update Document, 2015 Financials are available in the Document Section of the website and available upon request at the Town Hall in the Town Clerk's Office.
We have now received information regarding the STAR Registration Program through the NYS Department of Tax and Finance. 

This program applies to all homeowners receiving the Basic STAR Exemption. Those who are receiving the Enhanced STAR Exemption do not need to register to continue receiving their STAR benefits. 

Owners may apply online anytime through December 31st, 2015 or call to register (518)-457-2036. You can look up your STAR registration code on the NYS  Department of Tax and Finance website, wait for the letter to come in the mail that containing your STAR registration code, or call their number (518)-457-2036. The link to the online registration can be found below.
East Corning water District Extension #2 Minimize
Corning Manor Capital Improvement Project Update Minimize
3/15/16- The Town Board has approved contracts at the 3/15/16 Board meeting for this Capital Improvement project.
The Contractors will be receiving the notice to proceed on 4/6/16. Work should be commencing in the next couple weeks.
If you are resident and have any questions or issues please call the Supervisor at 607-329-8786 or the Engineer, RC Holmes at 734-2165.
Town of Corning Consolidation EC 1 Water Planning Grant Update Minimize
2/17/16 -Town of Corning Planning Grant for the Consolidation of Gibson Water District, Gibson Water District Extension 1, Corning Manor Water District, East Corning Water District, East Corning Water District Extension 1 (and potentially East Corning Water District Extension 2, if approved) has been submitted to the the New York State Department of State.
The Citizens Empowerment grant is a frequent and non-competitive grant that on the planning side is 50/50 match upon award. The maximum of the project cannot exceed $50,000. The Grant is 50/50 match.

The Town's plan upon award of this grant is to prepare State Environmental quality review of the proposed Consolidation of operation and maintenance of all of these Districts so as to reduce the water use costs to the users in all of these districts.

Currently, our Water Operator has water testing,monthly, quarterly and annually along with associated reporting requirements that would reduce extensive redundancies as he currently is required to do so for each individual district.
The current Debts of all these water Districts will stay the same as they are currently are until they are paid off.

By receiving this grant a Map Plan and report will be generated and upon approval of this plan by the New York State Department of State the Town will then apply for an implementation grant in early 2017. This implementation grant is a match of 40/ 10.

If the Implementation grant is awarded then the tentative plan is to consolidate these districts effective January 1, 2018.

We will keep you updated as we expect to hear of our status on this grant application within the next 90 days! AS of 4/18/16 the Town has not heard anything regarding the our status of this grant we will keep you posted!
Copyright 2012, Town of Corning, NY